Pittman Center History
Like much of Sevier County, Emert’s Cove was a Cherokee hunting ground before the arrival of Euro-American settlers. After the Battle of Boyds Creek and several violent incidents between the Cherokee and the settlers to the west in what is now Cocke County, the Cherokee were induced to sign the Treaty of Dumplin in 1785, ceding what is now Sevier County to the American government. Among the first Euro-American settlers to move into the newly-gained territory was Frederick Emert (1754-1829), who arrived with his family sometime between 1785 and 1793.
Emert was born in Pennsylvania to German immigrants. He fought in the American Revolution for the Continental Army, and probably saw action at the Battle of Brandywine Creek. In 2000, the residents of Pittman Center erected the Emert’s Cove Covered Bridge in his honor.
Other settlers arrived in Emert’s Cove shortly after Emert. Among them were Juliana Shultz (1741-1810), a widow who arrived in the cove with her children around 1794, and Daniel Wesley Reagan (1803-1892), whose parents and grandparents were among the first settlers in what is now Gatlinburg. Many residents of Pittman Center are descended from these early settlers.